Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Jan 28, 2022  
Lee University Catalog 2009-2010 
Lee University Catalog 2009-2010 [Archived Catalog]

Graduate Studies

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Graduate Studies at Lee University


A Christian environment and team of personally committed professionals are the “natural surroundings” that encompass all programs in Lee’s graduate studies. Lee University’s graduate programs provide an educational experience that meets the most important requirement - a profitable engagement of the student’s time, purpose and personal resources.

Lee’s graduate programs serve adult students with various professional interests and diverse personal histories. Flexible scheduling for part-time and full-time students and personal attention from experts and practitioners in wide-ranging professional fields enable students to find a niche for their personal goals and their intellectual progress in a field of study.

Sixteen degree programs are offered at Lee University for the level of Master in those fields within the colleges or schools. The Ed.S. degree is offered within the Helen DeVos College of Education. In the College of Arts & Sciences: the Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling prepares students for careers in counseling. The Master of Science in School Counseling prepares students to be counselors in public and private schools. In the Helen DeVos College of Education the Master of Arts in Teaching provides preparation for professional licensure in education for graduates from liberal arts and other non-education fields. The Master of Education program extends to classroom teachers and school administrators an opportunity for in-service professional training and advanced development in both knowledge and practical skills. The Education Specialist degree is offered to those who currently hold a master’s degree in education and provides candidates with two options: Classroom Teaching or Educational Leadership. In the School of Music the Master of Church Music degree program develops the potential of musicians while providing leadership in music training for ministry. The Master of Music - Music Education is designed to provide graduate professional education for men and women who wish to pursue or are currently involved in music education in public or private institutions. The Master of Music - Music Performance provides graduate professional education for men and women who wish to pursue or are currently involved in music performance and/or studio instruction. In the School of Religion: the Master of Arts in Biblical Studies and in Theological Studies offers advanced graduate study in the respective disciplines. The Master of Arts in Youth and Family Ministry is designed to provide students with pastoral skills as well as social science insights needed to minister to families in this challenging time.

Graduate Programs of Study

College of Arts and Sciences



Behavioral and Social Sciences    
Degree   Major   Code
M.S.   Mental Health Counseling   MHCSL.MS
M.S.   School Counseling   SHCSL.MS

Helen DeVos College of Education

M.A.T.   Special Education (Initial Licensure in Mild/Moderate Disabilities)   SPCED.MAT
M.A.T.   Elementary Education (Elementary Education Emphasis with Grades K-6 Licensure)   ELMED.MAT
M.A.T.   Secondary Education (Secondary Education Emphasis with Grades 7-12 Licensure in Chosen Specialty Area)   SECED.MAT
M.Ed.   Classroom Teaching   CLTCH.MED
M.Ed.   Educational Leadership   EDLDR.MED
M.Ed.   Special Education (Additional License to Elementary Certificate - Mild/Moderate Disabilities)   SPEDS.MED
M.Ed.   Special Education (Additional License to Secondary Certificate - Mild/Moderate Disabilities)   SPEDA.MED
M.Ed.   Special Education   SPEDU.MED
Ed.S.   Educational Leadership   EDLDR.EDS
Ed.S.            Classroom Teaching   CLTCH.EDS

School of Music



M.C.M   Master of Church Music   MUSCH.MCM
M. M.   Master of Music - Music Education   MUSED.MM
M. M.   Master of Music - Music Performance   MUSPF.MM

School of Religion



M.A.   Biblical Studies   BIBST.MA
M.A.   Theological Studies   THEST.MA
M.A.   Youth and Family Ministry   YTHFM.MA

Graduate Faculty

The purpose of the graduate faculty of Lee University is to set standards for graduate work and to provide graduate instruction. Only members of graduate faculty or associate graduate faculty may teach courses numbered 500 or above or serve on Final Project Committees for master’s degree candidates.

Members of the graduate faculty must meet the following criteria:

  1. Hold a doctorate or hold candidacy status in a doctoral program,
  2. Hold the rank of assistant professor or higher, and
  3. Demonstrate teaching competence, continuing interest in the graduate program and research or creative productivity.

Associate graduate faculty members are those who do not satisfy the above criteria but are approved to provide instructional services for graduate students because of their unique competencies and professional roles.

Graduate Admissions


Criteria for Admission

Graduate programs at Lee University are open to persons holding a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university whose undergraduate or graduate work has been of sufficient quality and scope to enable them to profitably pursue graduate study.

Lee University offers equal educational opportunity to all persons without regard to race, religion, gender, age, creed, color, national origin or disability. Applicants are required to meet specific admission criteria established by each of the graduate programs. All applications must be accompanied by a $25 non-refundable application fee.

An application to a graduate program is reviewed by the graduate faculty in each program before an admission decision is recommended. The applicant is advised to have all credentials on file well in advance of the registration period for the semester in which the application is made.

Each Lee University graduate program has different requirements for admission. Applicants are advised to refer to appropriate sections in this catalog for specific graduate program admission requirements (or go to

Graduate students applying for admission are required to provide proof of the following immunization records:

  1. Measles Immunization Proof (MMR) - An applicant born after January 1, 1957, must provide documented proof of receiving two MMR vaccinations given after 12 months of age.
  2. Tuberculin PPD Skin Test - Provide proof of a Tuberculin PPD Skin Test taken within a one-year period prior to the date of admission application.

If an applicant does not meet the admission requirements of a graduate program, he/she may be considered for probationary acceptance.

Admissions Testing

A student who has completed a bachelor’s degree within the past seven years must submit Graduate Record Examination Aptitude Test (GRE) scores indicating a score that is at least in the 35th percentile or above; or, the student may take the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) and score at least in the 35th percentile. (GRE Institutional Code 1401; MAT Institutional Code 2540) Education graduate students not meeting these minimum requirements may be admitted on a provisional status.

The MAT is offered quarterly in the Lee University Office of Counseling and Testing ( The GRE is not administered at Lee University, but informational materials are available ( For information regarding testing and placements for the School of Music degree programs please see the Graduate section for the School of Music in this catalog or contact the office of Graduate Studies in Music at 423-614-8245 or

Policy Regarding False Information

Any applicant who fails to acknowledge attendance or who submits false records from any college or university where he/she has previously registered is subject to dismissal from the university.

International Students

The university is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students on an F-1 or J-1 visa. International applicants are expected to apply well in advance of their projected beginning date. All academic records, transcripts and other credentials must be accompanied by an official English translation. In addition to admissions requirements described in each graduate program, international students must supply the following:

  1. TOEFL Scores: All applicants who will be attending the university on a student visa and who are not graduates of an American college or university must supply proof of a minimum score of 550 (paper), or 213 (computer) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Information on this test can be attained by writing to TOEFL Educational Testing Service; Princeton, New Jersey 08540; U.S.A. (or go to All test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency to Lee University (Lee University Code: 1401).

  2. Financial Statement: An applicant on an F-1 student visa must supply, on the form provided by the university, sufficient evidence of financial support for the applicant and all members of his/her family who will accompany the applicant to Lee. This requires that the applicant certify that his/her intent is to attend full time and that no employment will be required.

All of the above credentials must be received and approved before an INS Form I-20 can be issued to the applicant.

Change of Program

Students who have previously declared a program of study but desire to change should apply to the appropriate graduate program director. A change in program is considered the equivalent of reapplying for admission. All admission requirements of the new graduate program must be satisfied and approved before a change can be granted.

Graduate Tuition and Fees

Tuition per semester hour
Tuition per semester hour over 12 hours
Registration Fee (required per semester, non-refundable)
Health Service Fee (optional)
Student Activity Fee (optional)
Technology Fee (required, per semester gives access to campus computer labs)
Student Publications Fee (optional)

The above charges do not include books and supplies which are sold in the Lee University Bookstore. Students must be prepared to pay for books and supplies with cash, check or a major credit card. Books and supplies will not be charged to student accounts (unless the student is eligible for a book voucher).

Book Vouchers

Students will receive a book voucher only when their financial aid exceeds the amount of their school bill. If a student qualifies for a book voucher, the student will be able to go to the bookstore and use his or her Lee ID to purchase textbooks after he or she completes registration.  (Non-textbook purchases may not be paid for with a book voucher.) Charges for textbooks purchased will be applied to the student’s account at the time of purchase. There will be a $5 book voucher fee assessed and applied to the student’s account at the end of the book voucher period for those who used their Lee ID to purchase textbooks at the Campus Bookstore. Questions regarding book vouchers should be directed to the Business Office.


In those cases where more than one member of an immediate household is registered full time (at least 9 graduate hours), a 25% discount on tuition only is permitted for all except the first student. Those involved must call the matter to the university’s attention at the beginning of each semester in order to be assured of receiving the discount. This policy does not include married children or students considered independent for financial aid purposes.

Residence Hall Students - Room and Board Fees (per semester)

  Room Rent    

Residents of Brinsfield Row
Residents of B.L. Hicks, Bowdle, Keeble, Livingston, O’Bannon, and Storms
Residents of Atkins-Ellis, Cross, Davis, Sharp,Tharp, and Auxiliary Housing
Residents of Hughes, Medlin, Nora Chambers, and Simmons







  All 21 Meals
Any 15 Meals
Any 10 Meals
Any 5 meals



Miscellaneous Fees


  Breakage Fee, first semester (non-refundable)
Key Fee (payable at check-in time, refundable)
Programming Fee ($15 per semester, $30 payable at Fall check-in for Fall and Spring semesters, non-refundable)
Telecommunication Fee (per semester)


Married and Single-Parent Students


Carroll Court Apartments (rent for married students per month including all utilities):


  Room Rent - One Bedroom
Room Rent - Two Bedroom
Key Fee (payable at check-in time, refundable)
Programming Fee ($15 per semester, $30 payable at Fall check-in for Fall and Spring semesters, non-refundable)


Additional Fees



Other expenses for all students, when applicable, include:    
  Audit Fee (per semester hour)
Auto Registration and Parking Fee (per year)
Deferred Payment Plan Fee (per semester)
Extra Transcripts (per additional copy; first copy given to each student free of charge)
Graduation Application Fee
Late Registration Fee
Returned Checks (per check)
Schedule Change (per transaction)


Music Fees (per semester)

  Graduate Applied Music Fee - the first hour (elective)
Graduate Applied Music Fee
(1-4 credit hours of applied lessons and practice fees.  Available only to full-time music majors.)
(No refunds will be given for private music lessons after the first lesson.)
Instrument Rental Fee
Piano Lab Fee
Accompanist fee (per semester, as required by applied faculty)
Accompanist fee (Performance Majors only, Non-keyboard)
(during four-credit hour performance semesters)




Itemized Expenses Per Semester for Part-time Students

Students who register for a part-time load will be charged as follows:    
  Semester hour
Registration (required, per semester, non-refundable)
Late registration
Health Service Fee (optional)
Student Activity Fee (optional)
Technology Fee (optional, gives access to campus computer labs)
Student Publications Fee (optional)


Summer School Costs



The cost of attending graduate classes at Lee University for the summer 2009 is:
  Tuition per semester hour
Registration Fee
Music Fees
15 per term
250 per term
See Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (Super Session only)
The cost of attending graduate classes at Lee University for the summer 2010 is:
  Tuition per semester hour
Registration Fee
Music Fees
25 per term
250 per term
See previous section on Music Fees (Super Session only)

Settlement of Accounts

When possible, students should be prepared to pay full semester charges on or before registration. Money may be submitted in advance to the Business Office. This payment will facilitate registration. On-campus students are required to pay $3,475 and off-campus or part-time students are required to pay at least forty percent down on or before registration according to the deferred payment plan. Students who are unable to pay their accounts in full must either borrow the necessary funds or enroll in the university’s deferred payment plan. Students who will have difficulty paying the full charges within the semester are encouraged to make advance arrangements for borrowing the needed funds. The university also offers services by which students may use Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express to make payment on their accounts.

Deferred Payment Plan

Any full-time, on-campus student desiring to participate in the university’s deferred payment plan is required to pay $3,475 down at registration and the balance of the semester charges in two equal payments on the dates mentioned below. Any part-time student or off-campus student desiring to participate in the deferred payment plan is required to pay approximately forty percent of the total charges at registration and the balance of semester charges in two equal monthly payments on the dates mentioned below. The same financial requirements apply to veterans and others in cases when money is not sent directly to Lee University. In all cases, when the student does not have the down payment, a commitment letter is required from those underwriting the student’s account. Students enrolling in the deferred payment plan will be charged a $50 fee for this service. This fee will apply to all students owing a balance in excess of $500 at the completion of registration.

Fall Semester

Full-time, on-campus students must pay $3,475 at registration; off-campus and part-time students must pay forty percent of their total charges. The balance must be paid as follows:

  • First payment by September 30
  • Final payment by October 31

Spring Semester

The same down payment ($3,475) is required at registration. (Off-campus and part-time students must pay forty percent of their total charges.) The balance must be paid as follows:

  • First payment by February 28
  • Final payment by March 31

A bill will be sent to the student’s permanent address (unless otherwise indicated) each month. However, the student is still responsible for timely payments, even if a bill is not received. If payment is not made on the due date, a $25 late fee will be assessed.

Deferred Payment Plan for Summer School

Students are ordinarily required to pay the full charges for all terms at registration. However, those unable to pay the full amount may defer up to 50% of the charges for a maximum of 30 days. Students delaying registration for a second term must pay an additional registration fee of $25. Students enrolling in the deferred payment plan will be charged a $50 fee for this service. This fee will apply to all students owing a balance in excess of $500 at the completion of registration.

Refund Policy

No reduction of charges will be granted unless application is made within two weeks of any change in program or departure of the students. STUDENTS WHO WITHDRAW FROM THE UNIVERSITY AFTER THE FIFTH WEEK OF CLASSES WILL RECEIVE NO ADJUSTMENT ON TUITION, FEES, AND ROOM. Those whose study is interrupted by the university for discipline reasons will receive no adjustment on tuition and fees after the fifth week of classes. When a student withdraws from the university or moves out of on-campus housing, his or her ROOM CHARGES WILL BE ADJUSTED ON THE SAME SCHEDULE AS TUITION AND FEES.  Board charges will be prorated from date of withdrawal. If a student withdraws during a semester and requests a refund of advanced payments, the following rules will determine the amount of adjustment, provided the student withdraws formally through the Office of Student Life.

  1. Board will be adjusted by the full amount unused at the date of withdrawal

  2. Tuition, fees, and room, with the exception of matriculation and registration fees, will be adjusted on the following percentages:

    • During first two weeks of semester
    • During third week of semester
    • During fourth week of semester.
    • During fifth week of semester
    • After fifth week of semester.
    No Adjustment

  4. No person who registers as a full-time student and is later permitted to drop enough courses to place him/her in the classification of a part-time student will be entitled to an adjustment or prorated tuition after the fifth week.

  5. Mandatory refunds and repayments to Federal Title IV student financial aid programs will be calculated based upon earned and unearned aid percentages as outlined by the Federal Government. The formula for such calculations is based on the number of days in a given semester and the number of days attendance completed by the student prior to his/her withdrawal. Refunds mandated by the calculation could possibly increase the amount a student must pay after he/she withdraws from school. Please refer to “Return of Federal Title IV Financial Aid Policy” in the Undergraduate Financial Aid section.

Refund Policy for Summer School

  1. Withdrawals during the first week of classes will receive 50% credit on tuition and room. THERE IS NO REFUND AFTER THE FIRST WEEK.

  2. There is no refund for Registration Fee or Late Registration Fee. Refund for board will be prorated by the day.

  3. If you register for both terms and withdraw prior to the beginning of the second term, you will receive full refund for the second term.

Accounts Must be Paid Prior to Final Examinations

Written commitments for aid from Lee University or other sources are the only substitutes for the required down payment. Therefore, students should assume responsibility for applying for aid in advance and for seeing that the proper letters or cash arrive at the Business Office by registration day.

While we recognize the problems involved in increasing costs to the student, education with a Christian emphasis is the greatest personal investment available today. The university will assist students in every way possible to finance their education. If you need financial assistance, please check with our Office of Student Financial Aid.

Accounts with the school must be settled in full before a diploma or a transcript of credits is issued or a letter of honorable dismissal is granted. ACCOUNTS MUST BE PAID BEFORE FINAL EXAMINATIONS ARE TAKEN. NO STUDENT WILL BE ALLOWED TO GRADUATE UNTIL HIS/HER ACCOUNT IS PAID IN FULL.

Graduate Financial Aid


Eligibility for financial aid is determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) through the Federal Processor. The FAFSA can be completed online at ( In order to receive federal aid, a student must be fully accepted into a graduate program. Provisional acceptance does not meet the requirements to qualify for federal aid. Students must be enrolled at least halftime to receive Federal Student Aid. Graduation from a program can impact eligibility for future federal aid. Graduate students are eligible to apply for Stafford Loans. Maximum annual loan amounts are indicated below:

  Subsidized Stafford
Unsubsidized Stafford

These amounts will be subject to the student’s filing for federal aid, showing eligibility for loans based on income and cost of attendance for school. Students may or may not be eligible for the maximum possible award based on these criteria.

Lifetime Learning Credits

A family may claim a 20% tax credit for the first $5,000 of tuition and fees paid each year through 2002, and thereafter 20% of the first $10,000. This credit may be claimed for any number of years, starting July 1, 1998, provided students and taxpayers meet the criteria for each credit. If eligible, this credit can be applied to an individual annual tax return. The program is administered by the Internal Revenue Service. Questions should be addressed to a local IRS representative.

Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships

Assistantships and scholarships are available for full-time and part-time graduate students. Information can be obtained from the Director of the Graduate Program in each area of study.

More Resources

For more information about financial aid and funding resources, see the Undergraduate Financial Aid Section of this catalog.

Graduate Student Life


Residential Life

Lee University has a Residential Life program that exists to meet the housing needs of graduate students who desire this service. On-campus housing may be provided for graduate students who send their housing application and deposit of $200 in before July 1 of each year. Space will be granted according to availability. Married/family housing is available but limited. Graduate students are expected to abide by all rules and regulations governing residential life as established by the Student Handbook. These include regulations regarding care of room, safety concerns and special services, among others. Graduate students and married students interested in securing on-campus housing should contact the Office of Residential Life and request a Housing Application.

Lifestyle Expectations

Graduate students will be expected to adhere to all of the rules and policies of Lee University while on campus. Every student is provided a copy of the Student Handbook at registration and is encouraged to read it thoroughly.

Lee University is a smoke-free, alcohol-free, drug free campus. Graduate students are expected to respect campus norms.

Sexual harassment, unwelcome sexual advances, premarital or homosexual conduct, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature will not be tolerated on campus. Students who are subjected to harassment should promptly contact the Vice President for Student Life.

Questions regarding student lifestyle expectations can be directed to the Dean of Students.


Graduate students are invited to attend intercollegiate athletic activities. Varsity teams compete in men’s and women’s basketball, tennis, soccer and cross country; women’s fast-pitch softball and volleyball; and men’s golf and baseball. Graduate students interested in participating in intercollegiate athletics should contact the university’s Athletic Director to verify eligibility.

Recreation and Fitness

The DeVos Recreation Center offers a wide range of equipment and activities from treadmills and weights to racquetball and billiards. Graduate students have full use of the facility and its services with a minimal additional fee for some features such as lockers and supplies. Immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children of graduate students) may purchase memberships good for one calendar year. Fees for adults are $25 per year. Children (15 and up) are $15 per year. Membership includes full use of the facilities and the same privileges as students. Children under the age of 16 must have adult supervision at all times. The DeVos Recreation Center is not appropriate for pre-school age children. Participants must present a valid ID at the reception desk prior to use of facilities.


Graduate students and their spouses may participate in intramural programs.  This service is free to all students.  Spouses may participate by purchasing a spouse pass at the Recreation Center Office.  The pass includes participation in any intramural event.  Some events such as golf and bowling may have additional fees.

Campus Safety

All graduate students are required to have a valid student identification card. Additionally, all students who park an automobile on campus must register it with the Campus Safety Office. Upon receipt of a parking permit the student is entitled to park in an assigned area. Parking is on a first-come, first-served basis. Automobiles parked illegally will be ticketed and in some cases “booted” or towed at the owner’s expense.

More Resources

For more about student life, see the undergraduate student life section of this catalog.

Graduate Academic Policies


Academic Probation and Disqualification

Satisfactory progress toward the degree is required. A student may be disqualified from further graduate work if a 3.0 grade-point average is not maintained. In the event that the grade-point average drops below the minimum level, the student may be given one enrollment period to raise it to the satisfactory level.


A qualified student may apply for permission to audit a class. The student must meet the regular university entrance requirements and pay the audit fee per credit hour. Changing from audit to credit or credit to audit must be done during the registration period at the beginning of each term. Such a change to audit would not entail a refund.

Course Numbering System

Graduate courses are identified by a departmental abbreviation followed by a three-digit 500-level course number.


The Lee University graduate programs use the following system of grading and quality points for all graduate- level courses. These letter grades are assigned grade point values as follows:

Indicates the student’s work was incomplete
Passing Credit (no quality points)
Satisfactory progress, no credit
Student officially withdrew from the class without penalty
  4.0 quality points
3.7 quality points
3.3 quality points
3.0 quality points
2.7 quality points
2.3 quality points
2.0 quality points
0 quality points

A grade of “I” indicates the student’s work is incomplete. The grade becomes “IF” if the work is not completed by the end of the following semester unless a written extension has been approved by the Vice President of Academic Affairs. A grade of “I” is given only to students who encounter some personal difficulty such as a severe illness or an extreme family emergency near the end of the semester. The “I” grade is not given in order to allow students additional time to complete assignments.

A grade of “W” (withdrawal) is assigned to a student who, for any reason, officially withdraws or is withdrawn by the official semester date. This “W” is assigned without quality point penalty to the student.

Project/Thesis Statement

Once the master’s candidate has completed all required course work, registration is required each succeeding semester toward the completion of the final project or thesis. During the semester(s) that this occurs enrollment will be in the graduate course entitled “Final Project Extension” for which no credit will be awarded. This course will not count toward the student’s graduate program requirements but will rather continue active status as a graduate student. The cost of the course is equal to one graduate credit hour. Each graduate program has specific Final Project and Thesis requirements. A copy of these requirements may be obtained from the graduate program directors.

Policies for Theses

Many, but not all, of the Lee University graduate programs require a thesis as a demonstration of the student’s research, writing and thinking skills. If a thesis is required, two copies must be deposited with the William G. Squires Library. In addition to the two copies required for the library, the college or school granting the degree will require a certain number of copies and the student may want several copies for his/her own purposes.

The library will assist the student by sending all copies to the bindery but reproduction and bindery costs are the student’s responsibility. The college or school granting the degree will collect all the required fees and credit the proper library account. The charge for binding is $9 per copy. A fee of $15, in addition to the sum for binding, is charged for handling the bindery process. Should a student bring additional copies of the thesis to be bound at a later date, an additional fee will be charged for processing the second order. Therefore it is important that all copies requiring binding be delivered to the library at one time.

When the copies are delivered to the library, the student must include a one-paragraph abstract of the thesis. At that time the student will also complete a form to ensure all relevant information is communicated correctly.

Because the two copies held by the library are considered a permanent record of the student’s scholarship, these two copies should be duplicated on paper that is acid free and 25% rag content.

Release of Transcripts

Transcripts of Lee University course work are available approximately four weeks after the completion of courses. Requests must be made in writing and should include the following information: the last semester attended, where the transcript is to be sent, date of graduation (if applicable), social security number and signature. Transcript requests are available online at; “Alumni and Friends”, “Request a Lee Transcript”. A $5 fee per official transcript applies. Transcript requests can be filled only if a signature accompanies the request. Also, transcripts, diplomas and/or verification of degrees will not be released until all the student’s financial obligations to the university are met.

Study Load

To be classified as a full-time graduate student, students must enroll in at no fewer than nine hours per semester. Maximum graduate enrollment is 12 hours per semester. Students enrolled in summer sessions may take a maximum of six hours per session. For summer sessions shorter than four weeks, the maximum load is four hours.

Time Limits

Course work completed more than 10 years prior to admission is generally not accepted toward meeting degree requirements. The student has a maximum of six years from the date of admission to degree standing (and registration for course work) in which to complete the requirements for the master’s degree. Refer to specific program sections within the catalog for detailed policies.

Transfer Credit

Lee will allow up to six semester credit hours of a graduate program to be comprised of transfer credit from a regionally accredited graduate program when the grade received is a “B” or better. The individual program committee must approve application of transfer credits. Exceptions to this policy may be determined by the respective graduate program committees.

Withdrawing from the University

Students may withdraw from the university at any time beginning the first day of classes until the final day of classes for the semester. Withdrawals will not be processed after final exams have begun. Withdrawn students will not be allowed to continue on the meal plan or remain in campus housing and should make arrangements to move off campus immediately upon withdrawal. Withdrawn students will be assigned the grade of “W” for all courses. Following is the withdrawal procedure:

  1. Student Life is designated by the University as the office to process official withdrawals. Any student wishing to withdraw from all courses must notify this office. Students are required to present both his/her current University I.D. card and parking permit. Students are asked to complete the Permission to Withdraw Request Form.

  2. The Vice President for Student Life must approve the withdrawal request. Upon approval, the appropriate offices will be notified.

  3. Students are responsible to notify their graduate program directors.

  4. Financial aid recipients should note that withdrawing from the University can affect eligibility for current and future aid. See the Undergraduate Tuition and Fees Refund section and the Undergraduate Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy respectively. Students who are recipients of federal student loans should complete required loan exit counseling. This can be completed online at or in the Financial Aid Office. Recipients of the Tennessee Hope Scholarship should go the Financial Aid Office to complete the Tennessee Hope Enrollment Change Request Form to avoid loss of eligibility for future funding.

  5. The Business Office will issue a final statement of the student’s account. See the Undergraduate Tuition and Fees section of this catalog from refund policy information.

Withdrawal from Courses

Students may withdraw from a class without grade penalty until the official withdrawal deadline published in the online university calendar. The student must secure the appropriate form from the Office of Records and obtain an approval signature from the professor. The student will receive a “W” grade in the course from which he or she withdraws. A student who never attends or stops attending a course for which he or she is officially registered will receive an “F” in that course if accepted procedures for withdrawal are not followed.