Specialty Area Requirements - Total Hours: 39
(All prerequisites must be taken for the courses in each program.)
The specialty area must meet the following criteria:
- The major must include a minimum of 36 hours plus the 3-hour capstone course.
- The student must select courses from four separate disciplines chosen from the list below.
- A minimum of nine credit hours must be taken from each of the four selected disciplines.
- At least 18 hours of the major must be in upper division (300 and 400 level) courses.
- The student and advisor will select an appropriate course for the capstone.
- The student must achieve a minimum major GPA of 2.0.
- A minimum of 120 hours are required for graduation. If the major is only 36 hours, the student must take enough general electives to fill the remaining hours required for graduation.
- Courses designated as general education core courses will not count toward an interdisciplinary area whether or not the student is taking the course to meet a general education requirement.
Choose courses from any four of the following disciplines:
If a student has coursework or an interest in a discipline not listed below, he/she may petition the Deans’ Council to include it as one of the four major disciplines.
Some disciplines allow any courses to fulfill specialty area requirements, while others have specific course requirements or tracks. If the discipline has prescribed tracks, it is important to follow these tracks before selecting other course offerings in that discipline. Questions should be directed to the IDSTU.BA advisor in the Department of Language and Literature.