Master of Music – Performance (MUSPH.MM)
Statement of Purpose
The Master of Music - Performance is designed to provide graduate professional education for men and women who wish to pursue or are currently involved in music performance and/or studio instruction. The rigorous training in individual performance is designed to strengthen the performer’s skills on the concert stage. Exposure to a broad range of literature in class, studio, performance lab and listening will increase the student’s knowledge of performance literature from various periods, styles, genres and composers. Instructional pedagogy in the student’s medium will assist in preparing the student for competency in private instruction.
Upon completion of the Master of Music - Performance degree, the individual should possess the following qualities, abilities, and skills:
1. The ability to prepare musical experiences/performances that are informed by an understanding of historical performance practice and advanced musical analysis, and frame the results in a scholarly manner.
2. The ability to articulate a Christian worldview of music and the arts.
3. The ability to perform as a soloist and in ensembles with distinctive skill.
4. Extended knowledge of pedagogical methods and experience in the area of studio teaching and rehearsal settings, including conceptual and practical applications that support learning.
5. An extensive grasp of literature in the area of the student’s medium sufficient for initial performance needs.
6. A basic working knowledge of music technology and current trends in music performance.
The Master of Music - Performance degree is to be considered a residential degree. Students matriculating in this degree program should expect to attend classes on campus and be generally available for class sessions on all weekdays.
PROGRAM OF STUDY
Master of Music – Performance