Lee University Catalog 2014-2015 [Archived Catalog]
Master of Music - Conducting (Choral & Wind) (MUSCO.MM)
Statement of Purpose
The Master of Music in Conducting is designed to provide the development of performance skills in the conducting studio and ensemble, in pedagogical experiences and in exposure to a breadth of literature.
Upon completion of the Master of Music in Conducting degree program, the individual should possess the following qualities, abilities and skills:
1. The ability to prepare musical experiences/performances that are informed by an understanding of historical performance practice and advanced musical analysis, and frame the results in a scholarly manner.
2. The ability to articulate a Christian worldview of music and the arts.
3. The ability to perform as a conductor and rehearsal technician with distinctive skill including advanced aural skills in addressing intonation, balance, and color.
4. Mastery of vocal or instrumental competency that informs the process of efficient rehearsal and superior performance.
5. Extensive grasp of literature in the student’s medium sufficient for initial performance needs, and the ability to find and identify literature for upper-level performing ensembles.
6. Working knowledge of music technology, and current trends and issues in conducting.
PROGRAM OF STUDY