Master of Music - Music Education (MMEOL.MM)
Statement of Purpose
The Master of Music, Music Education degree is designed to provide graduate professional education for men and women who wish to pursue or are currently involved in Pre-K - 12 music education in public or private institutions. Classroom teachers, ensemble directors and music administrators who hold the baccalaureate in music will be provided opportunity to refine skills gained at the undergraduate level and in other spheres of learning.
Upon completion of the Master of Music-Music Education degree, the graduate should be able to demonstrate:
1. The ability to prepare musical experiences/performances that are informed by an understanding of historical performance practice and advanced musical analysis, and frame the results in a scholarly manner.
2. The ability to articulate a Christian worldview of music and the arts.
3. The ability to organize, administer and develop a program of choral, instrumental or elementary music including: personnel, facilities, equipment, and budget.
4. A basic working knowledge of current music technology for use in the classroom and in performance.
5. Interpersonal skills necessary to function effectively in public and/or private schools with students, parents, staff, administrators, and the community.
6. Knowledge of current trends and issues in music education and how to function within them.
PROGRAM OF STUDY